Spend your summer earning science credit and travel to rural Costa Rica for a unique community-style experience! The Sustainable Community-Building program is designed for students who want a summer adventure abroad without the uncertainty of a potentially cancelled program or prohibitive entry restrictions.
This unique program offers a blended learning experience; on-site, you will learn by living and working on an organic farm for two weeks. Upon returning stateside, you'll continue learning through a 3- or 4-credit course, taught virtually, while continuing to connect with your Costa Rican community and earning a digital badge in the API virtual workspace.
Experiential in its design, this program is in a safe, contained natural setting in a country known for its dedication to environmental issues and sustainable practices. We invite you to expand your horizons through living for two weeks on an organic farm in one of the world’s most environmentally progressive countries alongside a small group of similarly minded peers.
- Earn credit for coursework in Biology, Community Health, Environmental Science, Human Nutrition, or Microbiology
- Participate in a two-week on-site experience at one of Costa Rica's most established and respected working organic farms
- Earn an API digital badge in Mindfulness
- Continue working with and learning from your amazing Costa Rican Resident Directors even after you leave
- Community-building activities and cultural resources in a digital learning workspace
- API Mindfulness Badge
- Access to API alumni network & API Ambassador Program
- Career readiness materials and support, including how to reflect this experience on a resume and at job interviews
- Live events featuring speakers, activities, networking and more
- On-site excursions and group activities in Costa Rica
- Locally sourced, organic food while on-site in Costa Rica
- Post-program evaluation
- Open to high school graduates through college seniors (18+ years by program start date)
- No prerequisites - open to all levels and majors!