This 12-week team-based learning experience involves teams of 4-6 participants working together to explore ways to create actionable change and make a lasting impact in communities at home and abroad. The lab is designed for participants to explore the fundamentals of making change, work collaboratively in successful teams, identify areas of challenge and growth to better advocate for the needs of community-based organizations, and ultimately, produce a feasible capstone action plan.
- FIELD EXPERTS will support you through creative ideation, help you develop skills to identify community needs, and provide real-world feedback on your action planning.
- CULTURAL COACHES will keep your solutions global, with cultural insight to guide development of your concept, enhance your impact, and maximize your global reach.
In the lab, participants will:
— Engage with a team of peers to produce an action plan for community engagement to support community-based organizations locally with a global perspective.
— Learn from cultural coaches and field experts about various approaches to community organizing, advocacy, civic engagement and allyship for marginalized communities.
— Build a global-to-local advocacy action plan leveraging domestic and international network of community partners to enact change.
"I'm thankful for the opportunity to participate in the Community Engagement Lab. It’s a unique opportunity to learn professional methodologies in an innovative way and to understand new global realities in a multicultural environment...I definitely recommend participating in this kind of experience." ~Nico C., API Community Engagement Lab participant
- Community-building activities and cultural resources in a digital learning workspace
- Career readiness materials and support, including how to reflect this experience on a resume and at job interviews
- Live events featuring speakers, activities, networking and more
- API Digital Badge Stack
- Post-program evaluation
- Access to API alumni network & API Ambassador Program
- A current resume or CV
- Personal statement outlining a local community-based organization and your interest in creating a plan of action to support their goals