Designed for American students, this program at the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores offers student unparalleled insight into the biodiversity of Costa Rica and the country’s efforts to promote sustainability. Students will experience firsthand the beauty of Costa Rica’s flora and fauna while interacting with “ticos” (as Costa Ricans refer to themselves) within their host families, during a 4-week internship placement, and while enjoying cultural activities.
Pre Departure Services
Orientation Materials and Resources
Access to International Phone Plans
API Alumni Network
On Site Services
Medical and Life Insurance
Social and Cultural Activities
Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
Housing (including meals and laundry)
Language and Culture Tools
Re-Entry Materials and Support
Alumni Network and API Ambassador Program
- Minimum 2.7 G.P.A.
- Open to freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with a minimum of one year of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Completed API application
- University Approval Form
- One letter of recommendation
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are encouraged to contact API prior to applying for more specific information about entry requirements.
- Partner scholarship available (up to $2,500!)