We invite you to study abroad with API in charming San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica! This immersive program offers advanced and superior level Spanish language courses along with a variety of electives including arts, literature, cultural studies, sociology, and environmental studies taught in Spanish. Classes are held on the serene and tropical campus of the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores. This program also offers ample opportunities to engage with the local community through cultural activities and community service.
Earn valuable academic credit, enhance your language skills, experience the warm and friendly hospitality of the Costa Rican people, and explore all this beautiful country has to offer!
Pre Departure Services
Orientation Materials and Resources
Access to International Phone Plans
API Alumni Network
On Site Services
Medical and Life Insurance
Social and Cultural Activities
Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
Housing (including meals and laundry)
Language and Culture Tools
Re-Entry Materials and Support
Alumni Network and API Ambassador Program
- Minimum 2.7 G.P.A.
- Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to high-intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish students
- Completed API application
- University Approval Form
- Official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are encouraged to contact API prior to applying for more specific information about entry requirements.
- Partner scholarship available (up to $1,560!)