We invite you to spend your summer with API in charming San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica! This program is designed to help you learn to communicate more effectively with Spanish speakers requiring medical attention and how cultural norms can influence interactions between medical professionals and their patients.
Improve your language and intercultural communication skills, earn valuable academic credit, learn more about the unique Costa Rican healthcare system, and explore all this beautiful country has to offer!
Pre Departure Services
Orientation Materials and Resources
Access to International Phone Plans
API Alumni Network
On Site Services
Medical and Life Insurance
Social and Cultural Activities
Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
Housing (including meals and laundry)
Language and Culture Tools
Re-Entry Materials and Support
Alumni Network and API Ambassador Program
- Minimum 2.7 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with four semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Completed API application
- University Approval Form
- One official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are encouraged to contact API prior to applying for more specific information about entry requirements.